Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cassius, It's Over. You're Second Best.

Some people want me to write another entry. You're probably in the minority.
For most of my life, I've been second best. That's not entirely true. Sometimes I'm a little lower down the list. Sometimes I'm the best within a certain group, but not as great a level up. Big fish, small pond, and all that.
I'm aware that this sounds rather like a problem of privilege. Surely, you might say, you have it better than most. Perhaps this is so, but I feel like it's worse. There are many things I'm bad at. Take art, for example. My talent is approximately that of a somewhat talented elementary school aged child. I don't mind that, or my mediocrity at sports, or my lack of social skills. I just assume they're things I can never excel at. But the things I'm almost great at are almost tortuous. I feel like if I could just be a tiny bit better or smarter, I could achieve the coveted "best" status. Yet it constantly eludes me. Sometimes I think "not quite good enough" is my status in life.
I've had more than one interview that resulted in a response of "we like you, but the position has been filled." At times, I'd rather get a "you aren't what we want." At least then I'd have to change.
The title I chose for this is two-fold. First is the obvious "second best." The second is that I can't stop making Classical references or talking about it. I have no desire to study it anymore, but I love the history, the stories, Latin, everything. My mother was reading a novel set in Rome and kept referring to "Crassius." I asked her whether she meant Crassus or Cassius, two very different people. She said it was Crassus, "the rich one." I informed her that Crassus was rich, and that Cassius was a politician associated with Caesar who was always second best. A few days later, my iTunes played "Cassius" by Foals, a song I almost never listen too, and I was surprised to hear its lyrics echo my thoughts.
Maybe I'm really just Cassius.

No comments:

Post a Comment